Sunday 23 June 2013

Hi, My Name is Milly - Heather Zeissler



Hi, My Name is MillyHi, My Name is Milly by Heather Zeissler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Older sister Milly shares a special connection with Malcolm who has Childhood Apraxia of Speech. Through her words, learn how their family is affected by Malcolm’s underdeveloped verbal skills and, in exchange, how his development is positively impacted by his family. In addition to providing awareness of this condition, this delightful story reveals the intelligence of apraxic children, which is sometimes masked by their challenge to verbally communicate.


This ebook was sent to me by the author in exchange for a honest review.

The book started by introducing the characters, a brother and a sister. 5 year old Milly and 3 year old Malcolm. Milly explains that Malcolm can not speak as he has a condition called Apraxia, this is done in very simple forms in child language.

The story is through the perspective of Milly, Milly talks to Malcolm and explains to mum what he would like.

As I was reading this story, I actually could make a connection to it. I am an older sister and when I was young my brother would not talk, he did all his communicating through me, we had our own language and no one could understand it, however I then translated to my mum what it was he wanted. My brother did not have Apraxia, he was just lazy as we found out when I began going to school...

I think though there maybe many brothers and sisters with similar stories, this story also covers the relationships brothers and sisters have and the bonds that are strong, which everyone with a sibling could connect to.

As a story promoting Apraxia and to understand it I think Heather Zeissler covers the subject well, it does not only explain what it is like for a child living with Apraxia it also identifies that this can be very common. As a primary school teacher I would read this story to children in the lower school, there are many children who maybe able to relate to it and understand that they are not alone. Children I have taught have had speech and language therapy and I believe a story like this would help them open up.

The book has beautiful illustrations and Heather Zeissler has approached this area well, it is clear she has an indepth knowledge in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment