Monday 24 June 2013

The Debt - Simon Kernick



The DebtThe Debt by Simon Kernick
My rating: 3 of 5 sta

'A debt is a debt is a debt.'


It's not your debt. It's your cousin's. And he's done a runner.


So now the local gangland bosses have come to you for repayment. They aren't taking 'no' for an answer, but they will take your fingers - one by one - if you don't get hold of the money. Very soon.


You've got to think fast. You've got to act fast. And then you'll have to get out of here - as fast as you can.



This was not the first Simon Kernick book I read, recently I read his Wrong Time Wrong Place also a short story. This story captured me right from the beginning and kept the suspence until the end. This is what I was expecting from this book.

The story is only 32 pages long, and I know that hardly gives him chance to introduce the characters but I didn't feel this was up to the same quality.

After reading many reviews on the book I read it with an open mind, advertising a car would have been something that I wouldn't choose to read, however I feel that although the car and the model is mentioned a few times in the book it is no where near a 'hard sell'.

The story follows a guy who is left with a huge debt by his cousin who has done a runner, he is left to pick up the peices as he doesn't want it worrying his aunt. Parts of the story I feel are a little far fetched, however it passed 20 minutes.

Normally I either love a story or do not enjoy it at all, this one left me feeling in different. I am glad that this was not the first book I have read by Simon Kernick or I may have not been returning to his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment